Monday 26 September 2011

Chili and Cornbread

Hola!

I feel like being mexican today. Mostly because I love mexican food!!! Last night I made my famous chilli, with some delicious cornbread to go with. I'm not going to lie, it was amazing! I am pretty sure it cured both our hangovers from the night before. :)

CHILI!!

Sauteing the veggies

My man cutting some peppers!

\

All mixed, ready to get slow cooked!

Finished product. Mmmm.


This recipe is pretty easy. I usually just throw in whatever I have on hand but there are a couple things I always NEED to put in my chili. Here is the recipe as I made it last night. 

2 medium onions, diced
1 stock of celery, sliced 
2 tablespoons of minced garlic (couple cloves) 
4 carrots, sliced 
2 bell peppers, chopped into bite size pieces
2 cans of sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can of corn, drained
3 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of maple style beans, slightly drained
1 pound of ground beef
bunch of seasoning salt
bunch of montreal steak spice
bunch of red pepper spice
couple tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
couple tablespoons of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon of chilli powder (more or less, depending how spicy you want yours)

Start by sauteing the onions in a pan with some olive oil. Once clear throughout, add garlic, celery and carrots. Cook another couple minutes. I don't like my veggies too soggy so I keep pretty crunchy as they will soften in chilli. Pour 2 cans of diced tomatoes into slow cooker or big pot, add cooked veggies. Start browning the meat in a pan. Add the peppers, cans of mushrooms, corn, beans and spices. Once meat is cooked, add to rest of ingredients. If there is still room add last can of tomatoes. Make sure all spices are added and begin to cook. After a couple hours, taste and add more seasoning if you prefer, then eat up!


CORNBREAD!



This cornbread was really good! It was pretty sweet, but I really enjoyed it. You can find the recipe HERE. I did make a change and put in 1 1/2 cup of cornmeal and then 1 1/2 and 1/3 cup of flour, because I wanted it to be more corny and didn't want to screw up the amount of dry ingredients. It turned out really good and I will be making it again!!!

Hope everyone has a great monday filled with FOOD! :) 

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment